The heart of any home is the kitchen, where family gathers and holiday meals can be prepared. It’s also the most important room to keep in top shape during a sale. Are you thinking of a DIY kitchen renovation to update your space? These best-practice recommendations and tips will help you keep your budget in check, no matter what your remodeling budget is.
- 1 Step by step instructions on how to remodel your kitchen
- 2 Save these key items during a kitchen remodel:
- 3 Consider these things when you remodel your kitchen.
- 4 The bottom line
Step by step instructions on how to remodel your kitchen
Step 1: Find inspiration and make a list of your must-haves.
Painting walls is a quick and easy way to update your kitchen, but a kitchen remodel will take more time. Even if you do your own DIY, it is important to plan the layout and style you will love for many years. Are you more drawn to rustic, traditional lines or modern ones? Pinterest is a great place to find kitchen remodeling ideas and see before-and-after photos. To help you focus your new kitchen vision, make a list.
Step 2: Set your budget
It’s not a good idea to run out of cash mid-way through your kitchen remodel. Your priority list should be determined if your budget is $10,000. You can get a clear idea of your budget and where it will go by properly pricing and comparing the various components of a DIY kitchen remodel to a professional one.
Home Depot suggests using the 1/3 rule to break down your costs into equal parts. 1/3 for cabinets, 1/3 for countertops and backsplashes, flooring and appliances. 1/3 is for labor and installation if you have an architect assist you with your remodel.
Step 3: Find ways to save.
There are many ways to save money on kitchen renovations, whether you do it yourself or hire professionals. To save labor costs, ask your family and friends for help with the demolition or installation. You can find product rebates for everything, flooring included.
You can find hardware and lighting that look great but won’t break the bank. You can find used kitchen cabinets for a fraction of what they cost on OfferUp and Craigslist. You can choose in-stock cabinetry instead of the expensive custom-made option. Or you can keep the cabinets and replace the doors at IKEA.
Step 4: Collect quotes.
For certain parts of your DIY kitchen remodel, you may need to hire a professional, particularly electricians or plumbers to attach the faucet. At least three estimates are required. Make sure to get at least three quotes.
Save these key items during a kitchen remodel:
The cabinet style can help define and set the tone for your kitchen.
- Paint your cabinets to make a quick DIY update on a tight budget.
- Reface, don’t replace. Keep your existing cabinets if they can be salvaged and reface them. Minor cabinetry refacing costs an average of $6,800 to $13,700.
- If you are going all out on a kitchen renovation, you should know that the cost for new cabinets can vary depending on whether they are in-stock (most affordable), semi-custom or fully customized — the most expensive option.
Consider who will be using the flooring (humans and fur babies) as well as how often they are used.
- Are your hardwood floors in good condition? You can save lots of money by refinishing your hardwood floors yourself.
- Tile is durable and easy-to-maintenance. It can be difficult to grout and lay tile evenly, and it can be labor-intensive. For a 200-square foot kitchen, the average cost of tile installation and labor costs between $700 to $2,000. However, this cost can vary depending on the materials used and square footage.
- Laminate flooring is easy to install and looks just like tile, hardwood or stone. Laminate is a great choice for DIY kitchen remodeling because it has interlocking pieces that “click and lock”.
There are many options when it comes to kitchen countertops. It is important to know not only what style will work best with your kitchen, but also the cost of each option. It is best to visit a showroom in person so that you can see the different options such as marble, granite, Corian and wood.
You can reduce your costs if your appliances are in good shape and work well in your kitchen remodel. If they do need to be replaced, you can get a package that includes a fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher, and washer for as low as $2,000.
Consider these things when you remodel your kitchen.
- Be clear about how you will navigate. The kitchen should be both functional and visually appealing. Is your kitchen functional? Or are the appliances pushed to each other in order to reach the fridge? You need to ensure that your kitchen renovation is well-planned.
- Are you sure that there is enough prep space? Do not skimp on counter space. It is crucial to have enough space for cooking.
- Are you ensuring the safety of your home? It can be messy to remodel a kitchen. Seal the kitchen with a tarp and/or plastic sheeting. This will help keep debris and dust contained.
- Are you sticking to your budget? You may have a dream of owning a $10,000 gourmet stove but is it feasible to fit in your DIY kitchen remodel budget? To stay on track, set a budget and be flexible.
Kitchen renovations are a lasting way to bring new life to your home. You can achieve amazing results by setting a budget and taking the time to select the style that best suits your family.